Saturday, March 24, 2012

What Do You Do With Disappointment?

Mrs. Pi!  You're not supposed to be blogging!  You're supposed to be in Virginia spending quality time with your nieces!  What about the zippy cardigan?  What about showing up your sister's challenge to complete a project in a timely manner?


Plans change.  It's life, in fact.  How boring would life be if everything happened exactly as we expected it?  Boring.  I don't think Boring comes in increments, it's just one size: Boring.


So in response to our change of plans due to the nature of life, I did what any sensible woman would do.  I was sad.  I moped.  I sighed.  I acted completely bummed out.


Then, I took a deep breath, got over it, and I made a list of everything I could get accomplished in the time I now had granted to me.  Since Mr. Pi is in class this weekend, I decided I would organize the craft room.  Sort through some of those big Rubbermaid bins I have.  Organize my stash yarn and figure out a creative way to display it.  Sew some curtains, like I've been meaning to do for six months.  Switch out my fall/winter clothes with spring/summer clothes.  Do some spring cleaning. 


Then I threw the list out the window and knitted instead.  Or rather, I proverbially threw the list out the window, since it's still safe and sound, folded up in my purse for another day/weekend.  I defied not only the list, but my 2012 Personal Goals.  I did not reach for one of the pairs of socks I have already started.  I did not reach for one of the other SOs I have to finish.  I reached for Nuna.


Remember sunshine-in-a-daisy's-center Nuna?  That one bonus skein that was completely out of place with the larger-gauge yarns in the cubby at my LYS?



There she is, Nuna, second from the left.

I took Nuna, who was already wound up nice in a ball, and I grabbed some US4 DPNs (double pointed needles), and I started improvising a design from my Pinterest board.  My first actual follow-through on a pin!  You know how there are all those Pinterest challenges on other blogs, encouraging us to not only stockpile plans and dreams and lovelies, but start to act on them as well?  I acted on one!

Here is the link to what I pinned (since I haven't obtained any permission to use the photo).  I realize that this link may not always be active, but while you're there, admire (and purchase, if so inclined) the other items in homelab's etsy shop.  Homelab is obviously a skilled knitter with an eye for classy designs.

I was inspired.  So I cast on 44 stitches, and I worked a few rows of 1x1 ribbing downstairs in the living room, while listening to Catching Fire on audiobook with Mr. Pi before Supernatural came on.  

I can't resist the chance to put in my two cents on Supernatural.  *Spoiler Alert*  It was sort of a happy episode, since Cass is back, and Sam is free from Satan's torment, and all is right in the world.  Well, perhaps not all is right, since Cass is now crazy with Sam's Lucifer illusion and locked up in an asylum.  And our old friend Meg the demon has reappeared to take a job as a psychiatrist with the hospital so she can get to Cass - for whatever demon-y reason she has.  I'm sure we can all be confident it's not good.  However, I am also confident that Castiel can take all this on and more, since after all, he survived the Leviathans.  And he's an Angel of the Lord.  Come on.

I can't help but add in two other Supernatural comments (bear with me here):
1.  If you watched the show Lost (another of my favorite shows) you'd recognize Lucifer as Jacob.  I'm tempted to say that those are the two most extreme ends of the character spectrum you can get, or darn close to it.

2.  Jared Padalecki plays Sam Winchester in Supernatural.  Sam's brother's name is Dean Winchester (played by the simply beautiful Jensen Ackles).  Jared Padalecki also played Rory's boyfriend Dean on Gilmore Girls (yet another of my favorite shows).  Gets quite confusing.

When Supernatural was over, it was 10pm and Mr Pi had to get up early for class, so we went up to bed.  But I wasn't tired, so I worked on my project a little longer.  That was when I looked down at the yarn, and saw this:


Is it just me, or is that really pretty?  The blue/tan paisley duvet with the yellow yarn - it spoke to me.  In fact, I took a few more pictures, because I was struck.


I've said it before: I'm somewhat of a voyeur when it comes to knitting.  I just love looking at yarn and knitting and I'm not sure why.  It's pretty.

So anyway, this morning I got up with Mr. Pi around 6:30am, and I sat and watched the news for a bit, and when he left a little before 8am, I had a choice before me.  Continue with the yellow mitts, or tackle The List?  Either one, The SOs List or the Productive Weekend List.

I continued with the mitts.  I spent a few glorious and relaxing hours in the recliner with my knitting, then I wandered back upstairs to cozy down in bed with the mid-morning sun shining in the window, and with a little background noise from the music channels and a few shows on A&E ... 

I finished the first mitt:


I could just as easily have spent the morning in bed watching t.v. feeling sorry for myself and bemoaning the unfairness of life, but instead I put my mind and will to something that I wanted, just for me, and I grabbed it.  And I'm really happy with myself and the outcome =0)  I could have been more productive, it's true.  But I am happy.  So I make no excuses.

Now I might put a load of laundry in the washing machine, then spend the rest of the day finishing the other mitt.  I might also save it for tomorrow and start on the craft room.  Maybe I'll eat something, or take a nice long bath.  The possibilities are endless!

Now it's your turn to share.  Have you ever actually made something you pinned to Pinterest?  Or something you admired in a magazine, or saw on Ravelry, or read about in a blog?  How did it come out?  

Have you ever been disappointed by a situation only to find that with the right attitude everything actually worked out pretty well?

Mrs. Pi

No comments:

Post a Comment